Monday, February 9, 2009

Week 5 - Hours Worked in Ministry (Tuesday)

I interviewed Pastor Mary Eileen Spence on February 1, 2009.

Study: (part of services)
Administrative/Office: 12 hours (5-6 hours in meetings or committees)
Services: spends a minimum of 12 hours
People: 6-8 hours
What Else? Remaining hours spent on visitations, other administrative work, etc.

Spends a total of 40-50 hours a week on ministry in general.

Here’s what she said, see if you can make heads or tails of it.
“As far as the hours specifically spent on some items I am not sure I can give that to you accurately. I know I spend a minimum of 12 hours preparing for worship, bible studies etc. Over the week I probably spend at least 6-8 hours meeting with people for various reasons on an individual basis. Most weeks I probably spend 5-6 hours in some sort of committee or other called church meetings. On average I spend another 12 hours on administrative type duties. With any remaining hours I try to do visitations. I probably spend much more time on administration than I think, especially in answering e-mails since so much of our communication is now done this way. If any area suffers it is probably the area of visitations, especially to our homebound and nursing home patients. This past week I spent a day with my clergy peer covenant group which is done on a monthly basis. I am sorry I can not be more definitive on some of these times but I do know. I also know I probably spend at least 45-50 hours each week doing ministry. I have very few weeks that actually equal out to 40 hours a week.”

No comments:

Post a Comment